Make your comment on any aspect of Balcombe, including the website.

The most recent comments will appear on the Home page.

Comments

# Guest 2012-04-29 10:19
The Twinning society is no more. We are now the "Balcombe French Association", who live at: http://balcombefrenchassociation.co.uk

Can you also add the links of external websites to the Clubs & Organizations top-menu, using an "External URL" menu-item in Joomla, for:

and for

# Tracy Wilkinson Oste 2015-01-13 11:56
There is no telephone number or email to respond in order to request being on this site. I lived in Balcombe and worked as an a health care professional for some 25 years. How does this work????!

# Andrew Edmondson 2015-02-12 14:36
Please see bottom of page for my telephone number.

Webmaster links are on About Us and Home pages.

andrew1@BalcombeVillage.co.uk

Also, you can use the Search facility to find anything or person.

And then there is this Comment facility.

# Guest 2012-05-24 22:15
Thank you for your excelent document on fracking. Althought it was written for your local area it is the clearest explanation I have found.

# alison stevenson 2012-05-31 08:31
Dominic, you may want to read the IGEM report, there is a link to it in our "research documents and links" section. Written last autumn, its very clear and about the uk.

# Lucy 2012-11-06 08:29
Fluent French speaker required to run French for Fidgets classes in Balcombe and Haywards Heath area. All plans and resources provided. Pls call Lucy on 01273 833 340.

# Guest 2013-04-16 02:13
Can some tell me if the house at 2 lakeview, balcombe is still there? I have been trying to get pictures of the house as it was the house I was born In 1964. Parents were ken & Irene Weaver. I now live in Canada, would love any info. Thanks

# Guest 2013-05-01 12:05
Mid Sussex Older People's Council Paying for Care and AGM event 14 may 10.45 Sheldrake Suite at the Martletts Burgess Hill

During the morning, and back by popular demand, older people attending will hear a presentation from Steve Jenness and be able to ask questions about how to pay for care.

In the breaks, individuals will be able to talk to representatives of the Burgess Hill District Lions (and obtain their Message in a Bottle fridge container holding details about you needed in an emergency), Baker Jenness, West Sussex County Council's Carewise (an important part of their Adults' Services information and advice service about an individual's care and support options), and the Citizen's Advice Bureau's Welfare Benefits Macmillan team. Mid Sussex Older People's Council is grateful to Baker Jenness who as part of their sponsorship of the Event there will be a continuous flow of tea and coffee,

A light lunch sponsored by the Burgess Hill District Lions will follow the morning's session at 12.45 and the AGM follows this at 1.45pm.

For catering purposes, individuals are asked to let Anita know whether they are planning to attend by leaving a message on 01444 242760 or by emailing anita@msopc.org.uk

# Guest 2013-05-21 07:26
I have put together a family tree and am happy to say that James, Helena & Doris are on it, however if anyone has any further info that would be good. Although I now live in South Wales I lived in Crawley until 2005 and my cousin lives in my grandparents old house in South Godstone. We visited Balcombe Church on many occasions to pay respects at family grave.

# Guest 2013-05-21 11:01
We are three year 10 students who attend warden park academy and are currently partaking in a citizenship project. The aim of the project is to reduce the age gap which exists between the elderly members and the youth of our community. Our idea is to invite back the original students of the school who attended Warden Park prior to 1957 - 1965. We intend to take them on a tour of our school, intruding them to some of out new technology and taking them through some classes that will be occurring at the time - demonstrating how warden park has changed, while also allowing them to reminisce about their time at our school. The event will take place on the 4th of June, from 9:30 - 12:15. We really enjoy our school and are eager to share it with other members of our community. If you are able to attend or know of anyone that did attend the school, please email Rhea Soppelsa, year 10, at rheasoppelsa@gmail.com .

# Guest 2013-07-31 21:24
I am a 21 year old stay at home mother who has just moved into the village. I am looking for some possible baby sitting work, preferably evenings or where I can bring along my 10 month old son. I have previously worked as a brownies group leader assisstant, and a youth club assisstant for ages 11+. I have trained in health and social care and junior sports/clubs leadership including basic first aid, obtained DofE silver and work experience gold for my work at youth clubs. Please contact me on
gillian.emily@yahoo.com

# Guest 2013-08-01 14:08
I used to live in nearby Three Bridges and had friends living in Balcome. I am concerned that this search for Oil and Gas via Fracking WILL cause a great deal of local and environmental damage. I offer the link below for one to have an informed knowledge of what is involved.

# Guest 2013-08-03 06:24
I was surprised to see that given the importance of the issue that the NOfibs group contact details do not appear amonst the other 'Clubs and organisations' on your community website.
This would be useful for well wishers from elsewhere in assisting them to make contact.
N. Cox.

# Guest 2013-08-09 10:30
I came to this site hoping for more information on your anti-hydraulic fracturing activity. I am very much against 'fracking' and would like to see a global organisation. I know that there is an active group in the Karoo in South Africa. Their leader, Jonathan Deal, was awarded by an environmental agency in the USA for his efforts; the award was presented by Barack Obama. If you need assistance he would be someone to go to. Wishing you success in your efforts to keep the environment safe and clean.

# Guest 2013-12-04 22:56
Thank you for your support and hope and suggestion. :-)

# Guest 2013-08-13 00:08
why does your website news not show any support for the residents of balcombe who support the anti-fracking protest? I was told that 85% of residents agree that a non-violent protest should take place against Cuadrilla.

# Guest 2013-12-04 22:55
It is true that 85% of those surveyed are against fracking in Balcombe, but I believe this village website is being screened by at least one Balcombe parish councillor, who claims that anti-fracking is political (it is not) so has no place on this site.
I don't agree with that stance - this is a village website, for the village so should news and events and issues relevant to village on it, which includes fracking, whether for or against it.
I hope I am wrong about the website.

# Guest 2013-09-16 10:57
Hello, I recently heard on Heart Radio that the villagers of Balcombe were thinking of putting together a energy group to write a proposal for Renewable Energy for the village. Do you know how i could contact this group? I work at Ecosphere Renewables and would like to help them.

Many thanks in advance,
Zoe.

# Guest 2013-11-18 15:16
Hello, I am looking for someone to work just 1 hour a week with the elderly providing reminiscence, art and arm chair activities as a recreational therapist. I pay £12.50 an hour and the work is in Balcombe. You will be CRB checked and if you have some experience would be beneficial but not necessary as training will be given. If your interested, Please contact Ann Marie Lovejoy on 01903 236814.

# Guest 2013-11-30 16:31
Visited Balcombe today and had to leave because of a massive bonfire. My clothes still stink of it. I live in London where the air is a whole lot fresher. Does this happen often? Poor you.

# Guest 2013-12-01 11:54
Stand firm. Fracking is not pure science, it's commerce. Contractors are not pure scientists: they are applied scientists using pure science for commercial purposes. Profit drives them, not sound practice. I'm from London. Saw Josh Fox's Gasland 2 at E Grinstead.
Search gasland 2 watch online.

# Guest 2014-01-03 17:13
Does anybody have a photo of the old Abbingdon house on the corner of stockcroft and oldlands , thanks chris pierpoint

# Guest 2014-02-03 12:50
Every May the British Red Cross has an annual fundraising and awareness week - Red Cross Week this year running from Sunday 4th until Saturday 10th May. This is our opportunity to raise funds to support our work both overseas and at home in the UK throughout the year.

We are looking for people to help us fundraise in Sussex during this week by becoming house to house collectors in their local areas. House to House fundraising is a simple but effective way to raise significant sums of money. Post envelopes through doors in your neighbourhood asking for a donation on one day and pick them up the next.

Please get in touch if you are interested in becoming a house to house collector or interested in getting involved in Red Cross Week in another way.

Lucy Holmes, Senior Community Fundraiser – 01273 227815 / lholmes@redcross.org.uk

# Guest 2014-03-11 09:05
Morning all. I would like to know when Balcombe fete is on. We are a local business serving the needs of Balcombe and would like to run a stall this year. There doesn't seem to be a point of contact for this on the village website. Any info would be greatly received. Please contact 01444 455242
Kind Regards
Zoe

# Guest 2014-03-11 20:36
Hi Zoe ,
you need to contact charlie hurst who is the chairman of the village fete , his no is availiable in the parish magazine
kind regards
chris pierpoint

# Guest 2014-03-12 12:56
Thank you very much Chris I shall endeavour to seek him out.
Kind Regards
Zoe

# Guest 2014-03-23 17:43
Hello.
There is a large park in the heart of balcombe. It is a lovely village with the essential shop and primary school. There are two nurseries and a baby/toddler groupmwhich is held in a hall.
Imhave lived here for ten years.

# Guest 2014-03-21 17:53
Hello,

I am thinking of moving to the village. I have a 7 month old son and would like to know what, if any, baby groups there are in the village? Also is there a playground?
Thanks

# Guest 2014-03-25 11:28
Mothers help activities - Local to Balcombe

Need a baby sitter for a night out?
Want someone to do the ironing?
How about someone to organise and sort your weekly shopping?
Regular cleaning?

Please get in contact! Low rates available. If you ask, we can probably do it!

# Andrew Edmondson 2014-07-30 11:15
You will need to add contact details.

# paul collins 2014-04-13 12:14
Talk about a blast from the past!!!! I loved balcombe and spent a very special time there. My dad was the headmaster at balcombe primary, as i have gracefully aged now, just wondered if a few of the people i once knew were still in balcombe.

# Jasmine Waters 2014-06-08 11:47
Hi Paul, You might not remember me as I was a couple of years older. You were friends with my sister Catherine Turner. I am Jasmine and still live in the village. There are one or two still living in the village who went to school when your father was headmaster.

# paul collins 2014-08-08 06:29
Hi Jasmine, well I never ... of course I remember Catherine turner, struggling to remember you though, vague recollection... infact how is Catherine and please pass on my regards. My dad passed away about 6 years ago grand old age of 88 ... my mum is still with us as well. Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your comment .. my computer skills are really not that clever!!! ha ha

# Jasmine Waters 2014-08-25 14:07
Hi, I am a couple of years older so more your brother's age. Catherine is well and sends her regards.

# Jane Bates 2017-01-30 18:32
I was at Balcombe Primary whilst your father was Headmaster. Happy memories. I also remember you Jasmine. I was Jane Fielding.

# Jasmine Waters 2017-01-30 21:38
Hi Jane, Yes I remember you. Long time ago now wasn't it? I'm still in touch with the school as I work there.

# Dave Webber 2014-07-29 16:12
My grandad, Horace Webber - born in 1890s, grew up in Balcombe and I am interested in any information on the Webber family archive that is mentioned on your website. Can anybody let me know if I can have access to that archive ?
Dave Webber

# Kareem Khouri 2014-08-03 10:17
We are very a few weeks away from moving into Woodwards Farmhouse on Mill Lane and very excited at the prospect... does anyone know when the area is likely to get fibre? 2 boys who require internet for school work and me who will require it for business. Thanks... Kareem

# KAREN WEST 2014-12-01 03:51
I live in Perth, Australia and my Uncle Michael Gera passed away earlier in November. I would love to hear from anyone who knew him. He lived in Balcombe for over 50 years.

# Terry Staveley 2015-06-16 15:04
Hi, I live in Crawley, and would like to suggest an alternative or addition to how Balcombe got it's name. In the Sussex Subsidy (Tax List) for 1296 for Lyndfield and Burle, Robr de Craule is mentioned, for 1327 the subheading is Villat' de Craule, Worth and Borle, and the taxpayer's name is Will de Borle. If Burle and Borle relate to the same name and place, it is possible that Borle's combe/valley, became....

# Guest 2015-12-24 17:33
The Social Club has never been very 'sociable' at Xmas time, but this year it's just disgraceful : a small tree with no lights, ancient exterior lights (half of which don't work). Balcombe is not Scrooge at Christmas but in the centre of the village the Club is.

# Rose Wallis 2016-03-01 15:39
I am looking for information on a house called "Haylings". I lived there with my mother about 1947 and went to the village school for a short time. My mother was the housekeeper and the lady who owned the house was called Bobbie.
Can any one tell me where this house is so that I can visit the location. Thank you

# Suzi Jacobs 2016-09-20 20:17
It's between Balcombe and Handcross opposite Cherry Tree Kennels and Cattery

# Rusling 2017-02-16 11:41
I am trying to find my old school friend David James. He lived at the Water Works with his parents but moved to Manchester or Liverpool I think. His parents moved to Burgess Hill in retirement but I guess they are not still alive. Nay information or conatact details would be appreciated.
Thanks.

# John Waters 2017-02-25 19:12
I worked & lived at Balcombe waterworks & was in contact with the James for a while, they had moved from Burgess Hill to Gloucester, Jim James had gone blind, but both he & Molly have gone now, I believe there were 2 sons, (David & Peter?)but I'm sure one has died, unfortunately I don't know which one or the whereabouts of the surviving one, but maybe the Gloucester area would be a start?

# Rusling 2017-02-26 10:55
Thanks John, all good information.
The son who died tragically was Roland as I remember.
The other son was David and is the one I would like to make contact with.
You do surprise me in mentioning Gloucester as I was looking in the Liverpool area.
I hope someone can come up with some more information as time goes on.
Thanks again and best wishes,
Stephen

# John Waters 2017-02-27 12:01
I'm sure you will think I'm "trying to teach granny to suck eggs" but Facebook may be a start, it may be worth opening an account if you haven't got one & put a request out there, even if Roland isn't on there someone may who is know him?
Just a thought!
John.

# Yvonne Walker 2017-03-03 16:33
Hi Jasmine
I understand the History Society is looking at clubs and organisations this year. I'm sure I have some relevant stuff of Mum's (Jean Elliott) that may be of interest. Please can you let me know what you're looking for and also the date of the Open Day this year.
Thanks.
Yvonne

# Jasmine Waters 2017-03-04 20:09
Hi Yvonne,

Any relevant information regarding clubs and organisations or photos would be useful thank you.The exhibition this year is the 13th May.
Jasmine

# Yvonne Walker 2017-04-21 16:46
History Society
I have a number of photos that may be of interest. Please could you give me an address that I can send them to, so that they can be displayed at the Open Day?
Thanks.
Yvonne Walker (Elliott)

# Jasmine Waters 2017-04-23 15:50
Hi Yvonnne,
That is very kind of you. If you could send them to Julie Budgen, Balcombe History Society,C/O Balcombe Stores, Sopers Gardens, Haywards Heath Road, Balcombe, W.SX RH17 6PA
Jasmine